Thursday 21 June 2012

Positivity leads to positivity...

Positivity leads to positivity... so here's what negativity breeds. 

I never set out to achieve anything; in fact I'm a plodder. I take what comes at me, and I make the best of it. I don't do anything because there's something in it for me in the long run; in fact quite the opposite. I see it as a strength - those closest to me see it as my downfall. That's me; positive, aimless, unguided, no hidden agenda and out to please.

Recent times have seen my positivity create some amazing buzz, and together with some amazing people I've propelled into a space and time I don't really belong. High powered meetings and important email conversations, and all of a sudden people are looking to me for answers I didn't know had questions. I'm working on future plans and projects for things that don't benefit me one bit, not at all. That's just me... selfless and energised for other people's needs.

How and why do I manage to keep going? Well, I love the feeling I get when I help someone, and I love the look on someone's face when I tell them about Warwicktweetup or the Portas Pilot. I love the questions that ensue... How? Where? Why? When? Who? I love the feeling that something I do can benefit others and improve their day or week, even if it's just for a moment. I feed off that stuff, and the more I get, the more I give.

But here's the thing. What I do and say, what I tweet or blog, what I share or broadcast is from the heart. It's my passion that drives me, not money or personal gain. Recently I feel that my passion and selflessness have been taken for granted, and indeed to benefit others in their goals to better themselves. This doesn't fuel my passion, and it certainly doesn't feed my enthusiasm to continue. This was never meant to be something that wasn't fun. I don't get paid to do it any of it.

Positivity breeds positivity, but negative views and constant criticism only lead to dead ends in my book. I feel like I'm here to serve, and to provide something. As the guy from WarwickTweetup (a nonprofit group of friends and businesses) I feel that I owe it to groups and organisations to be here. WarwickTweetup is a bit of fun, it always was, and I hope it always will be. Sure if I could turn up to WarwickTweetup PLC every day and be paid to do it, I would. But WarwickTweetup is just a group of people, not the same people, not a corporation; in fact it's just people helping each other out and sharing good times. I'm not part of other groups or councils for the reason that it doesn't interest me, and I don't have the education to do so. I just help people; I put my hand up for anything, and I have the get-up and get-the-hell-on-with-it attitude. What I lack in skills, I make up for in energy. Although I don't doubt that the things I have achieved are great, I really don't think it's all that... anyone could have done it.

So this really boils down to:

"What's in it for me?"

Yep, I'm as bad as everyone else. What do I get from all this, apart from a buzz and some new friends? Well actually not a lot. I don't live in Warwick, I don't have a business in Warwick. In fact, win or lose ANYTHING (let alone the Portas bid) it makes no difference to me or my family. So when I get negativity and pressure to behave and perform as if I'm paid, I put the shutters up. 

Nothing is more important than your support group, your family and your friends. Without them you're nothing. No man is an army. Together we're stronger - united we stand, divided we fall. If there's something that needs doing, then getting a strong united team together is the way to make it happen. I know this from WarwickTweetup; it's amazing what we can achieve if we all work together. 

Your thoughts are welcome. Todd.


14 comments:

  1. It's sad to read this - I guess some people just can't understand goodwill. Please don't let it put you off. I, and everyone else on Twitter, loves reading your updates. Your an asset to the town - keep smiling :)

    Elle x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome. Your enthusiasm to bring people together for the greater good is admirable. You've helped raise the profile of Warwick and many of the businesses there but you're not earning money from this and you should only continue to do it if it makes you happy. The town of Warwick would be all the poorer for not having you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Todd

    I feel your pain. I had the t shirt, remember? Since coming into contact with you, and your passion I've had my faith restored. After two years I have finally burnt the t shirt and am moving on. I hope it doesn't take you 2 years. Today, I took a big step forward in my recovery, I went to a COT meeting after 10 hours of graft, all because I think I might make a difference. That is down to you Todd. Chin up, onwards & upwards.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul that has left me almost speechless.

      You too are making a difference to me, we prove that a united Warwick is better than a fragmented one.

      I thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I had to read this through a couple of times for the message to sink in. I don't really know you that well (in fact we have only met once in 'real life'!) but what I do remember from when we ran together at the Heroes Run and what I have witnessed over the past few months via twitter and your blogs is that you are most certainly a very passionate individual.
    I honestly really admire your passion and your belief that a positive attitude can lead to something great. Many times I have envied your ability to stir people into action and the whirlwind you create around you.
    The problem is Todd, is that there are many negative people in this World who like nothing more than to sit back, witness the action around them, wish secretly that THEY could do something as good, and - because they don't know how - they pass judgement. And what I have learned is that we shouldn't let these people bring us down.
    What you and your WarwickTweetUp buddies have achieved lately is quite remarkable and you should feel PROUD!
    I don't know what has happened to cause you to write this but I hope you won't let it stop you from continuing.
    Keep up the good work and keep smiling (you know I think you're Amazeballs, right?!)
    Laters, Sian :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sian.

      You know I think you're right! :) I'll be back, things needed to be said.

      Secretly theses comments and tweets are firing me up again so look out for the next part!

      Delete
  5. Hi Todd,

    I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this but you are a credit to the town of Warwick, it doesn't matter if you don't live or own a business there, you work there and that is enough. Enough to care about the people, the town and it's future! The fact that you have written this blog probably shows that to everyone reading it. You will always come into contact with negativity being a public figure, be it only through WTU and the Portas Pilot team, it's often jealously! You have probably done more for the town in last year or do than those who are critising you have done in their lifetime.

    I hope to see your hard work rewarded at some point as I believe, credit where credit is due. Keep up the good work, your energy and keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember you were the catalyst for last night Todd, you made the discussions happen, you prompted the questioning of what people really want out of this aspect of the Warwick Rocks project. That in itself is a great achievement. The app...that's merely a nice to have. The interaction and stimulus of though, that was your great achievement - be proud of that. Chin up lad - you're not done yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Todd, you are an absolute star. Your energy, positivity and energy whenever I have been fortunate enough to be nearby have always been fantastic. I am not sure what has prompted such a melancholy post, well perhaps the 'reaction' I witnessed at the ITown launch yesterday... I witnessed a significantly negative shift in attitude last night which I extremely surprised with. Your efforts, your attitude have achieved much... Nil illigitimi carborundum mate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone that works for or with a group of volunteer residents and businessess trying to make a difference feel like this from time to time. You just wonder what the point is. The trick is to look back and see the progress made, and realise that without your input, that would never of happened. People who critise the most are ususally those people that take no action themselves to sort out the problems they complain about. Ignore them. They will not leave a legacy, but you will, and that's what counts. You say that anyone could have done it. Possibly, but they didn't and you did. And thats really what sets you apart from the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you. Clarity is a gift, and you just gave it to me. ^Todd

      Delete